How A Process Server Keeps You Safe

Someone was knocking at the door and I’d barely heard it in my sleep. The muffled sounds persisted through the house, rounding corners, down the hall, into my room. We were all asleep and the house was quiet . . . until faint knocking, late one night.

Her husband was not at all receptive to her continuous demands of answers and specifics. Instead of following the lead and focusing on what she could do to change this, she was risking her worst fear coming true by continuing to harp on something so much that her husband might just decide to go forward as a means of escape.

9) There is no law that states a debtor has to pay you. There are only laws that allow a creditor to discover a judgment debtor’s available assets, and then supply court documents and money to a Sheriff, to levy those assets to try to satisfy the judgment.

Whenever you do anything in the court system, you will find a lot of hands being thrust into your pockets. You will have to pay a filing fee to the clerk. You may have to pay a sheriff or to serve your lawsuit on your debtor. In Kentucky, your debtor may also be served by certified mail. At the very least, you will incur those two costs when you file your lawsuit. These costs alone usually run over $100.00 and could approach $200.00 in some cases. If you are successful in your lawsuit, the court will award these costs back to you. You will then have to attempt to collect these costs, along with the judgment awarded.

The collectors are literally banking on the fact that the majority of consumers do not respond. Default judgments are goldmines for creditors as it means they do not have to prove you owe the money, how much you owe and most importantly the agent for the credit card company or other creditor does not have to come to court.

If the person you’re suing is properly served with legal papers, their attorney may sometimes ask for additional time to answer your papers since they’d like time to learn the facts from their client before submitting their answer. This is known as ‘requesting an extension of time to answer the complaint’ and is a courtesy most attorneys will grant.

If you feel you are being harassed by a collection agency, make sure you document the agent’s name, the date, time, and the agency they work for. Also, document what was said in as much detail as possible. Contact your state attorney general’s office and the FTC to file a complaint.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts